Joseph Pilates Quote of the Week:

Joseph Pilates Quote of the Week:

"The art of contrology proves that the only real guide to your true age lies not in years or how you THINK you feel but as you ACTUALLY are as infallibly indicated by the degree of natural and normal flexibility enjoyed by your spine throughout life." ~Return to Life Through Contrology

Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Favorite Pilates Mat

A lot of people ask about my mat, which isn't your typical thin mat from Walmart, though I did use one of those for years.  When my tailbone just couldn't stand the hard surfaces that I taught on anymore, I investigated into finding a cushy mat that wouldn't grind my tailbone into the floor doing Teaser or my backbone while Rolling Like a Ball.  I purchased the thickest one (3/4-inch), which only goes to 56 inches long.  I'm pretty tall at over 5' 7", and it works for almost all the Pilates exercises.  I usually put another thin mat under it just in case I need to have a slightly longer surface.  I have also considered buying two longer, but thinner Aeromat Elite mats and just doubling up.  This website, http://www.ironcompany.com/, is great, and at the time of this writing, does not charge shipping!  Granted, it's not the cheapest mat around, so you may want to see it as a long-term investment and a special treat to yourself.  But trust me, your bones will thank you for getting one of these!

http://www.ironcompany.com/elitedualsurfacefitnessmataeromataeromat-elite-dualsurface.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment